Strawberry Trivia Fun Facts
• The average strawberry has 200 seeds
• Strawberries are low fat, low calorie; high in vitamin C, fiber, folic acid, potassium
• Strawberries, as part of a 5 a day fruit & vegetable program, can help reduce the risk of cancer & heart attacks
• Americans eat 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries each year plus another 1.8 pounds frozen per capita
• Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring
• There is a museum in Belgium just for strawberries
• Strawberries are a member of the rose family
• In medieval times, strawberries were served at important functions to bring peace & prosperity.
• Folk lore states that if you split a double strawberry in half and share it with the opposite sex, you’ll soon fall in love
Getting down to Earth with Strawberries:
• Birds are responsible for distributing strawberry seeds everywhere.
• Strawberries are indigenous to every continent except New Zealand, Australia, and Africa.
• Not every single flower will produce a strawberry.
• A strawberry will not ripen once it is picked.
• Strawberries do not grow from seeds. Instead, they reproduce with long shoots of new growth.
• California produces over one billion berries annually. Laying them side-by-side would allow them to circle the earth several times.